Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pets #73: Losing a Friend

1. I found the ASPCA website very helpful and easy to use. I really wish I had had this information before we euthanized our last dog. Knowing when the time is “right” is a very difficult decision and this website helped give some pointers. I also really wish I had this website’s information about the actual euthanization process before. You always hear about animals being “put to sleep” and that’s what I expected and I was quite shocked when I did not actually see it happen that way. The ASPCA is a well known organization and I would recommend its website to others.
The Humane Society is also a well known organization and its information about pet loss can be helpful. I would probably refer patrons to this site as well as the ASPCA site for this reason and also because they offer other additional information for pet owners.
2. Dealing with pet loss is very difficult. I was with our last dog, Shamal (Arabic for sandstorm), when she was euthanized and I swore I would never do that again (be present for the euthanization) but now that we have another dog, Karma, I’m sure I would, for her sake. Having a pet is totally worth it in terms of love and companionship, even when the relationship must end.

No comments: