Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Future of Media #81: Get Out Your Crystal Ball

1. Whew! Technology is moving along at such a fast clip it is difficult to predict which one development will have the most influence. From what I read in the exercise, however, it sounds like internet being paired with/installed in tvs could make the biggest impact. It could certainly spell the end of cable, satellite, and even movie theaters, depending on how quickly movies are allowed to be aired on tv.
There is no new technology that I am following – it seems like people around me do that very thing and I follow them once they have it all figured out!

2. I am definitely not an early adopter of new technology – the technology needs to be ironed out and pretty standard before I attempt it. I guess my favorite media gadget would be the cell phone (if that counts as a media gadget) – not having to be tied down to a land line and being able to make phones calls from so many places (not the car!) is wonderful! I definitely don’t miss any outdated formats either. As I said, the technology that has been perfected (and tried out by others) is sooo much better than what it replaced.
I do wonder if direct, personal human interaction may someday become more of an "outdated format."

No comments: